Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tattoo #1

 
Posted by Picasa



I have a lot of tattoo magazines and when I flick through them I enjoy what I see very much. I have wanted to draw more tattoo designs for a long time and there’s some cognitive thing that’s stopping me. I am just not clocking what tattoos I like and why I like them. I went through a very large tattoo book and only found about 40 tattoos that I liked. I photographed them. What I want to do is look at each and find out what it is about it that pushes my buttons. Hopefully this will lead to me being able to draw my own designs. Knowledge is power.. I guess..

I like the overall pattern of dark and light in this design. The skull is warped and not at all in drawing, but that doesn’t bother me. The style is so strong it makes up for that. I like the way the skull is nested in amongst the waves. I like how the waves turn into dots on the upper left. The waves don’t really look like waves much come to think of it. I like them just the same. The skull has deep indents on it’s surface that wouldn’t be there on a real skull. There seems to be an internal logic that there should never be much space that doesn’t have dark and light tones in it. The only exception to this seems to be the eyes.

The design just finishes in a slightly blurred line at the bottom and the top finishes with the top of the skull’s head.

No comments:

Post a Comment